Friday, February 3, 2012

Mangoes and Bananas

After living for 13 long years in the US, we recently have decided to move to India and explore the possibilities of living a simple life by practicing organic farming methods. We won't get to enjoy California grapes and strawberries anymore, but will relish locally grown mangoes and bananas.

Both my kids absolutely love mangoes and bananas. But I have always steered them away from the produce section that has those two fruits; I would read the sticker on the fruit and tell them how far that fruit had traveled and how much resource might have been used in that process. After hearing this a few times, my kids stopped asking me for mangoes and bananas. Sometimes I felt bad about depriving them of these simple pleasures, but still it was important for me to tell them about the impact of our choices.


- Hema 

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your blog. However i am really interested to know what led to decision of moving to India and more curiously moving from your current occupation to organic farming.

    Aman
    Pixel Tech

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are doing too much, let the kids enjoy at least till they start to know things better.

    ReplyDelete